Oh Comely deliberately offers an alternative version of the women's lifestyle magazine genre and we need to explore how design, content and conventions are used or subverted to create this effect. We also need to consider the different representations that can be found in these features.
We recommend you buy your own copy of Issue 35 of Oh Comely - the selected CSP issue. You can order this from the Oh Comely website here. Alternatively, selected pages of the magazine are currently available to view online through the website Issuu here.
Oh Comely close-textual analysis: blog tasks
Work through the following tasks to complete your close-textual analysis of the Oh Comely CSP pages:
1) What do the typefaces used on the front cover suggest to an audience?
2) The words under the title introduce the content and topics addressed. What do these suggest about the potential audience of Oh Comely?
3) How do the cover lines use narrative to create enigma? What do the cover lines suggest about the magazine's content and audience?
4) Write an analysis of the central image.
5) What representation of gender can be found on this front cover?
Feature: Speaking Out
1) What does the headline and standfirst suggest about Oh Comely's feminist perspective?
2) What do the interviewees in this feature suggest about the values and ideologies that underpin this magazine?
3) How conventional is the page design in this feature? Why?
4) Pick out specific aspects of this feature that subvert the stereotypical representation of women in the media. Are they different to what we may find in conventional women's lifestyle magazines such as Glamour or Cosmopolitan? Why is the absence of men a key feature of Oh Comely?
5) How does the photography offer a fresh or unusual perspective on women?
Feature: More than gender
1) How does this feature offer a fresh perspective on gender and identity?
2) What is the significance of the writer and photographer? How does this fit with the Oh Comely brand?
3) What style of photography is used in this feature?
4) What representations of the trans lifestyle can be found in this feature?
5) Why is the biographical information at the end of the article significant? (Clue: the writer is also an editor of a niche, creative magazine called Entitle).
You will have lesson time to complete this but will need to finish for homework - due next week.