What different aspects should make up our study of the print platform for Ill Manors?
- Newspaper/magazine Ill Manors reviews
- Newspaper/magazine Plan B interviews
- Newspaper/magazine features/profiles/ opinion pieces (columns)
- Print adverts
- Billboard adverts
- DVD/CD soundtrack packaging
Key word: synergy
The process through which a series of media products derived from the same text is promoted in and through each other.
(Easy way to remember synergy: LINKS between different platforms/texts.)
How can we find examples of synergy in the promotion of Ill Manors?
Ill Manors offers an excellent example of synergy because the film is cross-promoted by the soundtrack album of the same name.
Marketing and advertising promotes both the film and the album – while the political element of both is highlighted through interviews, TEDx lectures and more.
Read the following print articles:
For EACH of the four interviews, embed an image or screengrab from that magazine's brand and work through the following questions and tasks:
1) Identify the target audience (demographics/psychographics) for this magazine. How is that particular audience attracted?
2) Does the article do more than just entertain? How? (Think of Uses and Gratifications theory) What audience pleasures does the article offer?
3) What codes/conventions of print interviews can you find in the article?
4) How is narrative used to tell a story in each interview? Clue: what is it that keeps the reader interested in the article to the very end?
5) What synergy can you find between this text and the broadcast examples we have studied so far?